Introducing a new hen to your flock is exciting, but needs to be handled with care; hens are masters of the 'pecking order', and will bully new additions unmercifully should they chose.
- check the newcomer for parasites such as red mite, and other signs of disease: isolation for 3 weeks is recommended, but of course not always practical.
- keep the new hen separate but close by, within sight and sound of the flock for a week or so if possible.
- when you first mix the chickens, intorducing the new hen directly onto a perch in the house at night often works well. Watch closely for bullying.
- worm your flock, including the new hen; flubenvet powder, mixed into feed for 7 consecutive days, is what we recommend. Repeat worming every Spring and Autumn, and preferably four times a year.
- gradually introduce any change of diet over a couple of weeks, to minimise the stress of moving.