Worming your pet
- internal gut worms such as roundworm and tapeworm live in your pet's gastrointestinal tract
- treatment with a respected worming product should be carried out every 3 months, to keep your pet and the environment worm-free
- treatments available from the surgery are not the same as those available at a supermarket- ours are more effective and safer to use
- not all pets with worms will be itchy- it's not the same as children!
Why repeat the worming dose every three months? This is a practical and cost-effective interval. The wormer does not persist in your pet- it removes all worms when given, and then the drug passes out of the system. Your pet is then susceptible to reinfection- that's why some animals, such as hunting cats, benefit from monthly treatment.
External Parasites: mites, fleas, ticks and lice
These biting and sucking pests can be picked up from the environment or other animals. There's a myriad of treatments available, and navigating through the options to find what's best for your pet can be difficult. Do chat to one of our staff and gain expert advice. For example, there is a tablet available for dogs which we find offers excellent control against fleas and ticks for 3 months- find out how to combine this with wormers or tick treatments to ensure efficacy and safety at all times.
This parasite infects adult dogs, and is becoming a serious treat in our region following spread from mainland Europe. The adult worm lives in the heart and blood vessels supplying the lungs, and can cause a range of problems. As well as respiratory distress and coughing, lungworm can interfere with the clotting of the blood, causing bleeding problems which can be very serious, sometimes fatal. A simple blood test to diagnose the infection is available at the surgery. The lungworm parasite is carried through slugs and snails- either your inquisitive pet eating these when chewing grass or drinking from puddles, or even spread through snail slime which accumulates outside on water bowls or toys. Talk to us about protection for your dog.
Did you know your pet could be at risk from picking up a parasite every day, in everyday life?
- Other dogs: dog to dog contact can spread roundworm, tapeworm and fleas
- Foxes: Foxes spread hookworm and lungworm as well as being the main source of the sarcoptes mange mite.
- Your carpet: Flea larvae can live in a carpet for years before hatching
- Mice: Are intermediate hosts for tapeworm. If your cat hunts you need tapeworm protection
- Birds: Cats can get Roundworm from eating infected birds
- Your garden: Slugs and snails carry lungworm and if there has been poo on the ground there could be roundworm eggs
- Dog Poo: Can contain up to 1 million roundworm eggs, eggs can remain on the grass once poo is cleared up
- Long grass: Ticks lie waiting in long grass for a host to brush past
- Slugs and snails: Carry lungworm, your dog can be infected from eating one or even from the slime on toys/bowls.
There are many different products available to protect your pet from these parasites, including collars, spot on treatments, tablets and injections- pick our brains for expert advice!
Advocate: Dogs - Spot on - covers fleas, lice, ear mites, sarcoptes, demodex, heartworm, larva, roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and lungworm. Monthly treatment
Seresto: Dogs & Cats – Collar – Covers fleas and ticks. Lasts up to 8 months
Advantix: Dogs – Spot on – Covers Ticks. Monthly treatment
Drontal: Dogs & Cats – Tablet or suspension (puppies) – Treats for roundworm and tapeworm. Quarterly treatment
Milbemax: Dogs and Cats – Tablet - roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms, reduction in the level of infection of lungworms and the prevention of heartworm. Quarterly treatment
Stronghold: Cats – Spot on - For the treatment of adult roundworms and adult intestinal hookworms, fleas and biting lice. Monthly treatment
Profender: Cats – Spot on – For the treatment of roundworm and tapeworm. Quarterly treatment
Bravecto: Dogs – tablet – Treats fleas and ticks. 3 monthly treatment
Bravecto: Cats - Spot on - Treats fleas and ticks. 3 monthly treatment
Bropadline: Cats - Spot on - Treats fleas, ticks, roundworm, tapeworm, heartworm
Program: Cats – injection – Treats for fleas. Stops fleas reproducing – if heavy burden initially, use in conjunction with another product for immediate effect - speak to a member of staff about this. 6 monthly treatment
If you are taking your pet abroad you will need to cover for different parasites, Speak to a member of staff for more information.