Hazards of Winter
As the cold draws in, it poses all sorts of hidden potential dangers for our pets. We have outlined a few here. For more information see a member of staff who will be happy to discuss them further.
Cold: Thin, fine haired breeds such as lurchers and whippets will feel the cold more and find it harder to maintain their body temperature. Coats are a great way to keep them warm when out and about. Reflective coats/collars will ensure your pet stays safe and seen when walking in the darker evenings. We are currently stocking great little lights that your dog can wear on their collar to ensure they are seen! Try our new dog coats to keep them warm, they are soft and fleecy with a waterproof outer coating and reflective strip.
Remember your outdoor pets. Rabbits, Guinea pigs and hens all feel the cold. Keep hutches warm by insulating them with blankets, raising off the ground, and where possible moving them into a shed or conservatory. Keep an eye on water bottles to ensure they haven’t frozen.
Antifreeze: Cats drinking from puddles under cars can be subject to antifreeze poisoning. It tastes sweet so they are attracted to it, but it can be fatal. A lethal dose for cats is just 7ml. Signs of poisoning include, vomiting, weakness and kidney failure. If you suspect your cat has antifreeze poisoning contact the surgery without delay.
Poinsettia & Lilies: These are toxic to cats. Look out for vomiting, collapse and diarrhoea. If you suspect your cat has poinsettia/lily poisoning, contact the surgery immediately.
Chocolate: Dark chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and cats, as are other high cocoa-content chocolates. If ingested, bring your pet to the surgery immediately. Milk and white chocolate may not be so bad, but please ring us to get advice.
Bones: If dogs are able to grab the carcass from the kitchen side or the bin, the bones (once cooked) become brittle and can cause a lot of damage on the way through the digestive system.